New Life Counseling was founded in 2002 by Dr. Don Gilbert. Since then, the practice has grown to include more than 26 counselors and staff. It is our heart and mission to equip individuals through sound psychological theory, faith-based services and interventions based on their unique needs. We aim to provide a safe environment where we passionately seek to partner with and equip our clients as they: heal and gain understanding from past experiences, learn practical skills to enhance daily living, are empowered to make ongoing healthy decisions, achieve personal, relational, and professional success, and grow to live their values and principles.
Above all our staff is passionate about partnering with clients to help them heal, learn, and grow. While all our counselors work to support their families, they do not do this simply for the money. Each of our counselors is a believer and works out of love for the Lord and love for others. 30+ years ago, while still a lead pastor, Dr. Don Gilbert saw a need for professional faith-based counseling in this community. He envisioned services where all psychological principles should be evaluated through the grid of scripture, and where all scripture always holds final authority; each of our staff is fully committed to that vision. While our beliefs form the foundation for our work, we serve those from all perspectives and faith according to their level of comfort and need.
To provide professional faith-based services that facilitate the process for personal and relational growth.
Offering a safe environment where we passionately seek to partner with and equip people in their unique journey towards emotional, psychological, relational, physical and spiritual health.
To accompany clients as they:
- Heal and gain understanding from past experiences
- Learn practical skills to enhance daily living
- Are empowered to make ongoing healthy decisions
- Achieve personal, relational and professional success
- Grow to live their values and principles
At New Life, we are guided by our faith-based principles and values, which are essential to our treatment philosophy and ministry. While our beliefs form the foundation for our work, we serve those from all perspectives and faiths.
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, inerrant, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He has revealed Himself in creation, history, and in Jesus Christ.
- We believe in God’s creation of the world and humankind and in humanity’s rebellion and subsequent sinful (self-centered) nature.
- We believe in the person and work of Jesus Christ, including His deity, virgin birth, sinless life, humanity, miracles, substitutionary death, bodily resurrection, ascension to Heaven and His coming personal return.
- We believe salvation is by grace through faith in Christ as one’s Savior.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit in salvation and by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life and to grow in the knowledge and practice of the principles of Scripture.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost – the saved unto the resurrection of life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ and in the importance of the church for worship, service and relationships.
- We believe in the importance of marriage, and although the Bible states that divorce is permissible in two circumstances (adultery, Matt 5:31; and abandonment, I Corinthians 7:15), we will do all that we can to preserve marriage.
- We believe in the sanctity of life.
- We believe all psychological principles should be evaluated through the grid of Scripture, and that Scripture always holds final authority.
Call us for an appointment:
227 NW School Street
Ankeny, IA 50023
Phone: (515) 964-5003
Pleasant Hill Office
1300 Metro East Drive, Ste. 106
Pleasant Hill, IA 50327
West Des Moines Office
1200 Valley West Dr., Suite 700
West Des Moines, IA 50266
Phone: (515) 225-4006